9 Cybersecurity Best Practices for Small to Medium-size Enterprises
Cyber-crime is currently one of the biggest challenges facing businesses today. In fact, in the whole world, there is a new cyber-attack every 39 seconds! Well, a majority of small to medium-sized business (SMB) owners think that their businesses cannot be attacked by cybercriminals as there is “not much to steal”. This is quite an unfortunate misconception!
Studies have shown that SMBs have become major targets by cybercriminals. According to the Federation of Small Businesses, in every 5 SMBs, one has faced a cybercrime in the last two years. The vulnerability is owed the fact that SMBs tend to focus little efforts on cybersecurity. Now, this just shows that as anSMB owner, you need to strengthen the security of your network as you are at high risk of a cyber-attack.
Let us cover some of the best practices that can help you secure your small to medium-sized business.
- Practice use of safe passwords
- Train your employees on cybercrime
- Make use of strong firewalls
- Use an SSL certificate to protect your data
- Install security software in your devices and networks
- Use multi-factor Authentication
- Carry out documentation of your security policies and protocols
- Backup your data
- Get guidance from IT Security experts